Thursday, December 20, 2012

Martina McBride Feature- Virginioan Pilot

If anyone appreciates the realm of social media, it's Martina McBride.

While the 46-year-old mother of three may seem an unlikely inhabitant of the Twittersphere, the country music superstar is very much plugged in. She tweets regularly, posts often on Facebook and is a prolific pinner.

"I'm kind of obsessed with Pinterest right now," she confessed.

 McBride is even a follower of @DrunkenMartina, a fake twitter account that pokes fun at the singer's contemporaries with humorous posts supposedly written by McBride after one too many glasses of Chardonnay.

"I think it's hilarious," she said.

With her socially minded lyrics and charity work, McBride is often depicted as somewhat serious. In the virtual arena, the Grammy-winner gets to display a more playful side, even if people aren't always in on the joke.

Who knew a recent Facebook post titled "Things I Don't Get," which included decaf coffee and artichokes, would arouse so much feedback? "
You wouldn't believe how many comments I got about those dang artichokes," she said with a laugh during a recent phone conversation from her home in Nashville. "C'mon, people! I didn't say I hated them, I just said I didn't get them, so please stop sending me recipes!"

Such are the hazards of having such a passionate fan base. On the flip side, we can thank the singer's superfans for encouraging her to reprise one of her more popular outings.

After a six-year layoff, McBride is once again taking out the tinsel for her "Joy of Christmas Tour," which plays the Constant Convocation Center in Norfolk on Saturday. She will likely include songs from her platinum-selling "White Christmas" album, originally released in 1998 and repackaged 10 years later with a few new holiday tracks.

"The Christmas season is by far the McBride family's favorite time of the year," she said. "Every year we go out and get a live tree and decorate it together, and each year I give my girls a new Christmas ornament. I love traditions, so to be a part of that for someone else is really cool for me."

As for McBride's yuletide set list, she says she plans to mix it up.

 "We'll do everything from 'Let It Snow' to 'Blue Christmas,' some of the more pop numbers, and then we build up to the hymns like 'O Come All Ye Faithful' and 'O Holy Night.' That's the really powerful part of the show because those songs are about the true meaning of Christmas and they're also challenging to sing."

With her high-octane soprano, McBride routinely hits those soaring, celestial notes. Her powerhouse pipes have helped make the singer one of the most successful female artists in country music. But it's McBride's substance that has made her stand out.

"I'd like to be known as someone who records songs that are intelligent and emotional," she said."I don't want to be thought of as fluff."

From tackling domestic violence on her hit "Independence Day" to breast cancer on "I'm Gonna Love You Through It" off her latest album, "Eleven," McBride is anything but. With 24 Top-10 country music singles to her name, the musician's uplifting anthems and power ballads have obviously struck a chord.

And although she's been nominated a record 15 times for female vocalist of the year by the Country Music Association, McBride doesn't feel like she's done it all.

 "I keep looking for new places to go with my music," she said. "Of course, it's fun to play arenas and pretend like you're a rock star, but for me, making a connection is the thing that makes it all worthwhile. That's the real payoff."

No comments:

Post a Comment